Apr 15, 2009

#cck08 Blogging as bringing distributed cognition into practice - PERSONAL LEARNING NODES #4 (Originally posted to Twitwall on Nov. 29, 2008)


I recalled an Australian blog. It was the first one I ever used as source information for an essay. This happened when I participated the ELECTRA online course for intercultural understanding 2006-2007. I wasn't yet using social bookmarks. A key post of that blog has remained copy/pasted - waiting to be used later on.

In addition to sorting out and thinning and thinning the #cck08 block of information, I used some randomness in information search - one key thing I learned from utilizing a connective way of picking up source material during #cck08. The above blog post was part of my today's randomness.

The content of the particular post was still: valid, accurate, sharp - everything why I had kept it. At the time when I deleted most of the most - after having finalized my Bachelors Thesis on transformative learning. Some lines quoted:

"Teaching as presenting is dead. Teaching is transferring information from one brain into another is dead. Teaching as exercising authority over a group of students is dead. But teaching, genuine teaching, living what it is you want the next generation to see and emulate, is necessary.

It takes a conscious effort to be the sort of person you are trying to get your students to be. How often have we heard, ‘Do as I say, not as I do.’ But of course the lesson is in what we do. Which is why the main lesson from school is obedience and punctuality. It doesn’t matter what you say, you are what you want the world to become.

To teach is to be the sort of thing you want your students to be.
"

Some core pieces of my #cck08 puzzle found their place again today. I was with enthusiasm describing #cck08 to a former colleague in the end of last summer. He asked if I discovered connectivism already during my Thesis research. I said no. -Not at all.

Today I recognized the name of the researcher the above blogger had quoted. Recognized the style before reading the name - Stephen Downes.

The chain: Studying online => googling => keywords linking to a blog => finding a blog of meaning = = => returning to the blog when mircoblogging myself a couple of years later - shows a practical example of what distributed cognition and learning with the help of it means in practice. I'm relieved, extremely relieved due to today's finding - the holistic feeling of the correct direction my life-wide learning.

Source of the referred blog post by Michael Nelson: http://liveandletlearn.net/live-what-you-teach/ Source of the picture on the top visualizing my thinking: http://sdwaventures.com/media/image/networks.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment